Best Boulder Problems in Magic Wood, Switzerland
Magic Wood, while beautiful, famous, and covered in exceptional rock, is also quite confusing and overwhelming for first timers. Boulders twist and turn around ever forest corner, some up steep hills, while others are in caves, or even on the river.
PRO TIP! Create your free account to 27 Crags and get one week free access to the most complete Magic Wood topos.
When you browse the routes you can mark them "to do". This way you will have your personal list of routes ready when heading to the rocks!
The high quality gneiss rock lends itself to a plethora of crimping boulders and has a remarkable concentration of boulders for such a condensed geographical area.
The setting, while comparable to Squamish and parts of Zillertal, is for the most part unlike any place you’ve ever climbed. There are wet roots and moss covering the forest floor as you walk through a world of green.
While 27 Crags topos and some nice locals will help you navigate the forest, in the mean time, here is a list of some of the best boulder problems that are not to be missed when visiting.
- 5 Wonderboy - A. Gasic: “Even thought easy, one of the must routes in the area.”
- 6A+ Blue Sky of Mine - P. Orr: “Cool highball. A very fun problem!”
- 6B Superhorny - D. Hart: "Exposed and fun"
- 6B Die Schöne
- 6B Spankstick - Rather high but really pleasant line.
- 6B Altersheimsitstart - J. Bäckström: “Maybe harder for the short climber”
- 6B+ Merlin - Nice powerful line
- 6B+ Seven of Nine - "A. Haag: Grade depends a bit on start. Nice dynamic move afterwards."
- 6C Jenny - R. J: "Really nice sequence. Worth doing if you're in the area."
- 6C Big Cheese - A. Gasic: Felt hard at first, but with right beta felt bit easy.
- 6C U-boot - J. Blomqvist: "Beautiful climb. You can really flow through it. PUMPED."
- 6C Beach Mantle - A. Fallden: Superb!
- 6C Beach arete - Long moves and round holds. R. Malloy: “Good movement, good variety of holds, a bit of spice. Great problem!”
- 6C+ Freiwild - E. Silvennoinen: "Like indoor climbing"
- 7A Slip slap slop- A. Gasic: “Finally! Felt so hard again, but I was able to lock all the way to the crack from the sloper.”
- 7A Chiquita - A. Perschmann: ”Tricky. 4 Kneehooks and some other Hooks”
- 7A Zilliman - N. Lamminmäki: Nice! Clear line with powerful moves!
- 7A Mörderballett - H. Liukkonen: “A bit scary until you know what to do.”
- 7A Enterprise - Great arete problem. Worth the hike up and good to take few pads.
- 7A Linserboulder - J. Blomqvist: "Great compression climb, a bit scary with one pad and no spotters."
- 7A Marihuanacorner - J. Wade: "This problem has it all! And finishes with an exciting mantle.."
- 7A+ Red Roses - K. Wildrick: "Classic! After many times failing because of a slipping left foot, it felt easy when I switched to flat gym shoes."
- 7A+ Mörderballett - J. Blomqvist: “So scared but so good. Worth the hike.”
- 7A+ King Kong - K. Wildrick: “Great compression problem with one long move. The name says it all”
- 7A+ Tricky - M. Uponen: “Just perfect! sensitive footwork, balance and horror mantel! Def. worth it! :)”
- 7B Morgenlatte - Very powerful!
- 7B Dinos don’t dyno - S. Hochbaum: "Perfect jump from perfect holds to a perfect jug"
- 7B Blown Away - M. Piccolruaz: "this boulder is just so amazing. scary top out =)"
- 7B Blindfisch - F. Henke: “Really technical if the grade is your limit. Very nice movements!”
- 7B Grit de Luxe Kalle - K. Mustonen: “For me it has always been the line of magic wood so i'm happy to send it :)”
- 7B+ Goldfisch - J. Stiefelreiter: “morpho”
- 7B+ Höhenrausch - A. Perschmann: “One of the best!”
- 7B+ Sündenfall
- 7B+ Samurai Tango
- 7C Intermezzo - A. Ryan: "One of the only dry boulders in the Wood. Cool crimp fest”
- 7C Jack the chipper - Courtney Sanders: “Nice line! a little powerful on small flat crimps to a big pop move to a flat pinch!”
- 7C Super Nova - S. Hermansen. "The best problem I have ever climbed - matching the last hold was quite hard for me until I found a little pinch on the nose."
- 7C Rythmo - I. Kelloniemi: Pogo jump! liked this so much!
- 7C Schneebrett - S. Hochbaum: “one of the best 7c I`ve ever climbed. Perfect crimps and powerful climbing.”
- 7C+ Piranja - M. Pelle: “3rd go of the day after some tries in a previous session months before. Wonderful movement"
- 7C+ Down Under - C. Rauch: “Felt not so easy. One really greasy crimp but nice line and nice moves”
- 7C+ Schnee strum - C. Rauch: “Really cool crimper line. I`ll be back for the real line”
- 8A Octopussy - M. Geiger: “Beautiful Athletic Problem!”
- 8A Unendliche Geschichte 2 - S. Hochbaum: “Classic. One of the best boulderproblems I ever did!"
- 8A Nothing Changes - F. Driever: “Cool boulder which climbs surprisingly well once you figure out the best grip position ;)”
- 8A Sofa Surfer - Paul Robinson: “Nice slopes to a very very bad foot hold,glad it stayed.”
- 8A Astronautenfieber - Daniel Woods: “Huge arete, very crimpy and tall! finish hold is a tree.”
- 8A From the Darkness to the Sunshine - Michael Piccolruaz: “started on the jug! climbs much better than it looks like.”started on the jug! climbs much better than it looks like.
- 8A+ Left Hand of Darkness - J. Linkosuonio: “Really cool! Much nicer than right version. In one session and same day as Nothing Changes.”
- 8A+ Jack’s Broken Heart - Anthony Gullsten says, “Really nice line. Fell twice on the topjugs... Tried it again with better friction and did it easily.”
- 8A+ Bodycount - Nils Favre: "Soft but really nice!"
- 8A+ Electric Boogie - C. Rauch: “One of the best! This pinch is just amazing! ;)”
- 8B The Riverbed - T. Lindinger, “Best line and climb in Magic Wood”
- 8B Steppenwolf
- 8B One Summer in Paradise
See the full info on Magic Wood and all the routes below!
Text by Alexandra Kahn
27 Crags topos are made by local climbing area developers and enthusiasts. From the .premium subscriptions 50% of the income will go straight to the topo authors who are doing extremely important job in developing the climbing areas.
Join the community here and get a free trial of 200+ topos!
Interested in making topos? Don't hesitate to send us an email: tim(at)27crags(dot)com